It is an expression of carbon dioxide emissions resulting from the combustion of fuels in all its sources, which are represented in the consumption of electric energy and the emissions from various means of transportation.
Sohag University has adopted several mechanisms to reduce carbon dioxide emissions and thus reduce the carbon footprint, and these mechanisms are:
1- Rationalizing electricity and water consumption.
2- Provide paths to encourage hiking and cycling.
3- Reducing the use of private cars inside the university and relying on mass transportation.
4- Extending the use of energy from environmentally friendly sources.
5- Focusing when purchasing new devices on the highly efficient types.
6- Adopting the green building policy upon renewing buildings or constructing new buildings.
7- Reducing, separating and recycling waste.
8- Preventing motorcycles from entering the campus while providing them with a place outside the university.
2- Infrastructure and Green Cover
The university’s location, which is represented in the campus area, with its open spaces, green spaces, and its infrastructure, gives a basic picture of the university’s trend towards becoming environmentally friendly.
However, the university is working to provide more green spaces and clean environmental factors in the framework of its adoption of sustainability standards, and this is clear from:
– The total area of the university is appropriate, including the area of buildings and the parking space for the numbers of students, faculty staff and employee.
The university is also concerned with occupational safety and health and risk management and is working to periodically update the university’s emergency plan
3- Water Management
Water management is defined as the process of planning, improving, and optimizing the use of available water resources in order to achieve a better social, economic and environmental life for human life.
The University’s Sustainability Unit is working with the water management team to develop plans and mechanisms that contribute to rationalizing water consumption, reuse water after purification, and periodic maintenance plans for water conservation.
An example of rationalizing water consumption is the use of modern methods of irrigation on university farms.
The university is working to rationalize the use of energy in all its facilities, starting with the design of buildings that are mostly rectangular in orientation from east to west so that they are less affected by the sun’s heat in the summer, thus saving cooling energy as well as providing natural ventilation and increasing the efficiency of external lighting through the wide windows on the sides . The university also adopts green building concepts by using building materials from the surrounding environment, isolating roofs and walls, external shading, and using saving bulbs in lighting to save energy.
The university encourages the use of environmentally friendly energy sources, such as solar energy as well as focusing when purchasing new devices on the highly efficient types.
5- Waste Management
Sohag University has initiated the establishment of the Medical and Industrial Waste Management Unit (a unit of a special nature) aimed at sorting, treating and marketing regular, medical, industrial and agricultural waste and studying how to recycle it or upgrade recyclable waste, because of its health, economic and environmental returns within the university and outside.
Through the following:
- Treating and studying how to recycle or market medical, industrial and agricultural waste from university hospitals, research laboratories, workshops, laboratories and farms after appropriate treatment systems have been performed.
- Work to prohibit the use of plastic bags and replace them with others, such as paper bags or multi-use that have the feature of biodegradation.
- Raise awareness and education on the importance of sorting waste from the source for individuals and students by holding seminars and workshops on how to deal with all kinds of waste.
- Issuing informative brochures and publications in the field of dealing with all types of waste and issuing a magazine for the University of Sohag to publish environmental research and studies. (Environmental Research Bulletin)
Transport systems play an important role in carbon emissions and pollutant levels at universities. Therefore, Sohag University was keen to take many policies to reduce the number of vehicles on campus, including:
1-The university has provided motorcycle parking spaces outside the campus to reduce pollution and carbon emissions on campus
2- Encourage pedestrian policy and the use of bicycles for university employees, faculty, students, and employees on campus, and avoid the use of private vehicles
3- Providing internal transportation within the university or for transportation to the new university headquarters in the new city of Sohag in order to reduce the use of private vehicles, while trying to provide and purchase electric vehicles on the university campus to transport university employees in order to reduce carbon emissions
All of this will eventually lead to the use of environmentally friendly transportation and reduce the carbon footprint in and around the campus.
7- Education and scientific research
Education and scientific research is considered one of the important criteria in achieving development and sustainability in any developed or developing society. From this standpoint, Sohag University has paid attention to education and scientific research, and supported it with all its human and material capabilities, where:
- Sohag University held many conferences, symposia and scientific events that concerned with developing the human element inside and outside the university and achieving sustainability in developing human capabilities.
- The ratio of sustainability decisions to the total number of courses is approximately 30% of the courses offered by Sohag University colleges, where these courses focus on achieving sustainability and appropriate employment of human and material resources in society.
- The percentage of research and sustainability studies is 35% of the total number of research published in Sohag University colleges during the previous three years.
- Sohag University offers many incentives and rewards to researchers for their published research in internationally recognized scientific journals. Sohag University also provides training courses for capacity development for the various categories of university employees, including faculty members and their assistants, administrative cadres and all human elements at the university.
• Sohag University encouraged the formation of dozens of Student entities who were interested in developing the capabilities of university students and honing the skills of cooperation among them, thus achieving the criterion of sustainability in developing the capabilities of students culturally and socially.